About Me

My photo
My take is my own but it is not unique. I think I share the same views as most folks who think "conservative" is a dirty word.

What I Talk About

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Friday, October 24, 2008

ELECTRONIC VOTING MACHINES

SPEED VERSES ACCURACY

I am concerned about electronic voting machines. Considering how easy it is to give a computer a virus, I can only imagine the havoc to be done with computerized voting. Just think of the software glitches. They alone should have everyone cringing.

I have two questions:

  1. Is there a paper trail, an actual piece of paper that gives physical record of the vote that has taken place?
  2. Are recounts possible?

Well, okay, I have more than two questions, but those are the two most pressing questions. So, I've been doing some reading up on these devices. It seems the passwords used on the Diebold machines may still be set to the original factory presets. Now, why on earth would those in charge of electronic voting not see fit to change the passwords?? Good lord!

During this current election, in Jackson County, West Virginia, the selected candidates name jumped to the opposing party's name due to calibration error. As believed by experts, a malicious person could skew the outcome of an election (and we ALL know malicious people are out there).

Why do we, as American citizens, settle for this brand of election fraud? Why do we accept this system when there are so many blatantly erroneous outcomes? Personally, I think electronic voting machines should be banned in major elections. I would think our country could slow down for just one day and take the necessary time for a proper election. One that couldn't be flipped by something as preventable as a virus.

After more reading I've found this article which actually addresses my questions rather well. It was as I feared, there is no paper trail and no recounts possible with many of these machines...

"Optical scanning equipment is becoming the preferred replacement because, unlike touch-screens, it preserves each voter's original paper ballot in the event of a recount."

That in itself should strike fear in the heart of all Americans. If the major advantage of using an electronic voting machine that does not issue a paper receipt is LESS PAPER JAMS then STOP USING THEM ALTOGETHER!!

Click here to tell your legislators to improve voter confidence.

Click here to find out which states use which systems.

No comments: